- Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911) narrowly defeated the Nenas Team of Tere Armadans / Anna Vives (Porsche 911) after a fierce battle over three legs and 23 stages.
- The hegemony in cars of Carles Fortuny / Carles Jiménez is now transferred to bikes, after the victory achieved in their first participation on two wheels.
- The Passeig del Mar de Palamós experienced three spectacular days of classic motoring, accompanied by fabulous weather and a massive attendance of fans.
The XIX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul is now history. 1,100 kilometers, 23 sections and three legs later, the participants arrived at the Passeig del Mar in Palamós with the satisfaction of having completed a memorable edition of this event, one of the most important of the European Regularity.
This nineteenth edition will be remembered both for the number of teams (126), and for their quality, as evidenced by the titanic battle that took place for first place in the standings. The participants highlighted the quality of the itinerary, the beauty of the roads and the high level of the organization, with a team made up of more than 70 people. During the stages, the participants not only enjoyed the competition, they were also able to regain strength in the different regroupings: in Sant Feliu de Buixalleu on Thursday’s stage, in the Ripoll Monastery on Friday’s stage, and on Saturday in Can Enric, restaurant with a Michelin star.
The fans responded and filled the surroundings of the Palamós starting podium in each of the stages, with special mention to Saturday, where the good weather and the different activities turned the fishing village into a celebration of the classic cars.
Among the main points of interest for fans, seeing exceptional machines such as Lancia Stratos, Renault 5 Turbo 2, BMW 3.0 CSL or Lancia Fulvia, among many others; but also to see in action the best regularity teams of both national and international level.
Another great focus of attention was the female presence in the rally, as part of the #MotorDona program promoted by RallyClassics. 10 female drivers and 27 female co-drivers demonstrated once again that classic motorsports can be the perfect gateway for women in this sport. Among them, authentic motorsports professionals such as Rosa Romero, Christine GZ, Margot Llobera, Judit Florensa or Ares Lahoz.
Deflandre / Lienne, a hard-fought victory
Despite the length and intensity of the rally, with 550 kilometers of regularity sections, the participants had to wait until the last section to find out the identity of the winners of this edition.
The night stages of the last section of the rally placed Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911) in first position, thanks to a competition that they disputed bravely, finishing with 5 scratches in the final section. With this victory, Yves Deflandre added his third victory in this event.
The Nenas Team of Tere Armadans / Anna Vives (Porsche 911) finished their first participation in this rally in second position. A sensational result for these great specialists of the regularity, but with a bitter taste, because the Nenas had led the standings during almost all the event. 2.7 penalty points (less than 3 seconds) separated the two teams, a proof of the high level of competitiveness that this modality has achieved in recent years. In third position, a great result for Joan Pedragosa / Josep Beltri (BMW E21).
Highlight the participation in this edition of the internationally renowned singer Alvaro Soler, accompanied by Ramon Mañas (Porsche 911 SC). The two musicians discovered regularity rallies in this test and made a rally in clear progression, finishing in 37th position and placing among the top 5 classified in some of the sections.
Fortuny / Jiménez, fifth victory in the race
After achieving four victories in cars, three of which were consecutive, Carles Fortuny / Carles Jiménez (Yamaha XT 600) decided to face the new challenge of participating in the two-wheel category. Little did they expect that in their first participation they would climb to the top of the podium, and that they would do so beating the current champions Jordi Martí / Xavier Tibau (BMW R80GS) and Ferran Sacristan / Pep Martí (BMW R100 GS).
Precisely their team, the Terra Negra, was the protagonist throughout the event with the tribute to Alex Rimbau. Faithful participant of the rally, of which he had not missed any of the 18 editions, Alex unfortunately left us in an accident just a month ago. In his memory, his sons Sergi and Jordi participated at the wheel of the Seat 127, leaving a moment in the history of the rally with a minute of applause on the starting podium.
The tribute culminated on Sunday when the Escudería Terra Negra was proclaimed the winner of the Trofeo Escuderías, in another of the unforgettable moments of this edition.
From now on, the organization of the Club RallyClassics begins to work on the next edition of the Rally Costa Brava Històric, the twentieth, which will be held at the end of October 2023, confirming the formula for success that has been defined in the XIX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul.
Summary of winners by category of the XIX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul
- Rally-Sprint Costa Brava Històric Trophy: Andreu Vigué – Josep Maria Casas (Renault 5 Turbo 2).
- Trofeo Escuderías or the Terra Negra Team.
- Papi Babler Trophy : Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911).
- Gentlemen Classic Trophy: Santi Sabatés / Alex Valle (Lancia Fulvia 1300)
- Parents & Sons Trophy and Junior Trophy: Spyridon Moustakas / Nikolaus Moustakas (Alfa Romeo Alfasud Ti).
- Rally&Party Trophy: David Roberts / Melanie Jansen-Roberts (Porsche 911).
- Aigua de Vilajuïga Trophy for the team with the most zeros in a section for: Carles Miró / Ivan Matavacas (Porsche 911 SC).
- E Class: Carlos Puigcerver / Eric Puigcerver (Morris Oxford)
- G Class: Petros Vasilopoulos / Ismini Narli (Ford Escort MKI
- H Class: Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911)
- I Class: Joan Pedragosa / Josep Beltri (BMW E21)
- J1 Class: Joaquim Muntada / Marc Erra (Porsche 911 SC
- J2 Class: Tere Armadans / Anna Vives (Porsche 911)
- K Class: Ramon Vidal / Roser Morera (Ford Sierra)
- #MotorDona Trophy: Tere Armadans / Anna Vives (Porsche 911)
- #MotorDona Rally-Sprint Trophy: Judit Florensa / Susanna Permanyer (VW Golf GTI)
The XIX Costa Brava Historic Rally by Motul was possible thanks to the sponsorship of FECOTUR, Palamós City Council, Motul, Hotel Trias, Agua de Vilajuïga, Girona Provincial Council, General Secretariat of Sport and Physical Activity of the Government of Catalonia, City Council of Ripoll, El Deportivo, SPORT, News Classic Racing, Garaje Internacional, Suprametal and Integral Apps.