- The Belgians Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911) have been proclaimed winners of the rally for the second consecutive year, in a hard-fought victory and have also won in the FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies.
- Local teams Juan Pedro García / Sergi Giralt (Autobianchi A112 Abarth) and David Garrigolas / Sílvia March (VW Golf GTI) complete the podium, with Tere Armadans and Anna Vives (Porsche 911) finishing in fourth position and the first female team.
- The Passeig del Mar in Palamós has experienced three fantastic days of the best classic motor racing, with a large audience that has enjoyed an intense program of activities.
Five tenths of a second after more than 500 kilometers of regularity, 1000 kilometers of route and 20 stages. This is how tight the outcome of the XX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul has been, a rally which ended on Sunday after three intense legs along the roads that have made this event legendary.
The Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul has celebrated an anniversary edition that will be remembered for the record entry list since it is held based in the fishing village of Palamós, with 132 teams registered. Also due to a female participation that has broken records, with 12 female drivers and 36 female co-drivers (more than 25% of the total co-drivers). And of course, for the unparalleled atmosphere that has been experienced at each leg’s start, with the teams receiving the applause of the large audience, one of the benchmarks of the event.
The fans have once again responded massively in the different activities that accompany this rally, specially the parade through the streets of Palamós, held before the start of the decisive Saturday’s leg.
The classic and historic cars participating in the rally have been the main protagonists. Vehicles that have helped to build motorsport’s history such as BMW 2002 Ti, Renault 5 Turbo 2, Lotus Elan, Alfa Romeo GTV6, Apal Coupe, Volvo Amazon or Lancia Fulvia, among many more.
The #MotorDona program has once again been another of the main focuses of this edition, consolidating the female presence in this event. Among the participants, it is important to highlight the presence of four Spanish champions in different motorsports disciplines (Ares Lahoz, Lorena Romero, Laura Pedrosa and Raquel Cecilia), as well as teams with proven experience in historic regularity, such as the aforementioned Tere Armadans and Anna Vives (Porsche 911 SC), fourth overall.
Deflandre / Lienne, the triumph of endurance
Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911) have once again demonstrated their potential and have taken victory in the rally, their second consecutive triumph in this event, which in the case of Deflandre represents his fourth victory in the twenty years of history of the rally. With their victory they also achieved the FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies for the first time.
Their victory was not decided until the last of the twenty regularity stages, in a scenario almost identical to that of the 2022 edition. Thus, it was not until the last night section of the rally that they placed themselves with options for victory, to take the lead just two stages from the end. Only five tenths of a second separated them from the second team, Juan Pedro García / Sergi Giralt (Autobianchi A112 Abarth). The Catalan duo has enjoyed a great rally, leading for most part of the event, and they repeat the second place they achieved in 2021. David Garrigolas / Sílvia March (VW Golf GTI) complete the podium, in their best result so far in the Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul.
In the category reserved for classic motorcycles, Carles Fortuny / Carles Jiménez (Yamaha XT600) have once again imposed their hegemony, revalidating last year’s victory, scoring two section victories and achieving an extraordinary sixth overall position in the rally.
12 different winners in 20 sections demonstrate once again the high level of competitiveness and precision that this event requires to be in the top positions.
After a sporting and popular success of the event, the organization of Club RallyClassics will begin working very soon on the 2024 edition, which will be held at the end of October.
Summary of winners by category of the XX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul
- FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies 2023: Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911).
- Teams Trophy: Escuderia Terra Negra.
- Papi Babler Trophy : Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911).
- Gentlemen Classic Trophy: Simon Malins / Suzanne Barker (Hillman Hunter).
- Father & Son Trophy: Jean-Philippe Wante / Stephanie Wante (Porsche 911).
- Àlex Rimbau Trophy: Francesc Costa / Miquel Pumarola (Mini 850 L).
- Junior Trophy: Oriol Laporta / Pere Mascarell (Seat Marbella).
- Rally&Party Trophy: Enric Clúa / “Nunu” López (Seat 124 Sport 1600).
- Aigua de Vilajuïga Trophy: Xavier Domingo / Toni Moragas (Porsche 911).
- Class M: Carles Fortuny / Carles Jiménez (Yamaha XT 600).
- Class E: Patrick van Remoortel / Olivier Dupont (Apal Coupe).
- Class G: Patrick Lambert / Yves Noelanders (BMW 2002 Ti).
- Class H: Yves Deflandre / Patrick Lienne (Porsche 911).
- Class I: Joan Pedragosa / Josep Beltri (BMW E21).
- Class J1: Juan Pedro García / Sergi Giralt (Autobianchi A112 Abarth).
- Class J2: David Garrigolas / Sílvia March (VW Golf GTI).
- Class K: Lluis Gassó / Cecilia Latorre (Renault Clio Williams).
- Class GT: Josep Maria Malagarriga / Joan Cairó (Subaru Impreza).
- Rally-Sprint Costa Brava Històric Trophy: Francesc Segú / Joaquim Segú (VW-Porsche 914/4).
- #MotorDona Trophy: Tere Armadans / Anna Vives (Porsche 911).
- #MotorDona Rally-Sprint Trophy: Laura Pedrosa / Iris Pedrosa (Opel Astra).
The XX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul has been possible thanks to the collaboration of Ajuntament de Palamós, Secretaria General de l’Esport i de l’Activitat Física de la Generalitat de Catalunya, Diputació de Girona, Patronat de Turisme Costa Brava Girona, FIA, FECOTUR, Motul, Hotel Trias, Vilajuïga, 9 moments, Blunik, Garatge Internacional, Montjuïc Watches, Ca L’Enric, Suprametal, MiRally, L’Esportiu, Àgora, News Classic Racing and Integral Apps.
More information about the XX Rally Costa Brava Històric by Motul on the RallyClassics website: https://www.rallyclassics.club/en/xx-rally-costa-brava-historic-2023/